Knowledge Base

This is a big one folks if you don’t know about it yet – and many don’t! It’s a super-simple one. Keyboard selection filters. E for edge filter and X for face filter. It’s that simple. (There are many others, but typically these are the two most commonly used.) Many SolidWorks users make ...
After you start the Convert Entity command and select the entity or entities that you want to convert, note that the cursor changes to a picture of a mouse with a green check mark on the RH mouse button in the pick. This is telling you that if you are finished making your selections, that you should...
This new functionality in SolidWorks 2013 is something I’ve been wanting for a long time. It has finally arrived! Search the SolidWorks help file for Copying and Pasting Appearances. It took me a few minutes to get the hang of it, but once you understand how it is used it works great!...
As you can see in the before and after pics below, the top picture has annoying looking white areas on some edges of the model. Here is the simple setting change to clean this up: Go to SolidWorks System Options, Display/Selection, Anti-aliasing, and change the default “Anti-alias edges/sketches ...
I’m embarrassed to say that I am guilty of not using this very simple tip very much myself over the years, and so I suspect there may be others like me that are overlooking this same thing. Whether you are in SolidWorks or in LogoPress, when you are not sure how to do something, or if you just ...
In AutoCAD there was such a thing as a Construction Line. In a sketch that is in a SolidWorks part file, a sketch entity (lines and circles are the most common ones) with a centerline linetype are always considered construction geometry. So you may see or hear some reference to a centerline as a ...
Many people are unaware of how powerful and yet simple the Shift and Ctrl keys are when using SolidWorks. In a previous post I’d told you how to use the Shift key to quickly override the selection through transparency option, simply hold down the Shift key as you make your selection. Note that ...
Most of the time we receive parts from customers that have the coordinate system off in space someplace, or the Z is not facing up like it would be in the die, or it is just not where we’d like it to be on the part. (Often I want to change this origin so that the Z is facing up and in a logical ...
A great and often used System Option in SolidWorks is found under Display/Selection and is called “Enable selection through transparency”. If you have a model that is transparent, or actually semi-transparent (we encourage you to take advantage of transparency when using LogoPress) you will ...
Thanks very much to Todd from Penn United Technologies for showing me this great tip. I am always amazed when I learn something that seems like I should have known it years before! When editing an assembly for whatever reason, and when the flyout FeatureManager becomes active, it has always been ...
There’s an awesome and often overlooked feature in SolidWorks that some of you know about and I believe others would really benefit from. It is the filter that SolidWorks added to the topmost part of the FeatureManager tree a couple of releases ago. As you begin typing, the graphics area updates ...
The Magnifying Glass is new to SolidWorks 2009 as I recall. I think it’s a tool that slipped under the radar for a lot of people, including myself. It was not until I started writing this tip that I realized I was missing out on some of its key features. You’ve already got the Magnifying Glass ...
After writing about the Magnifying Glass previously, I felt compelled to immediately post this tip about what I feel is a very efficent means of zooming in and out of areas of your model. While the Magnifying Glass is interesting, I don’t think it’s as efficient as this. First of all, F is for ...
This is a great and very simple command that I wasn’t aware of for the first couple or few years that I used SolidWorks. I used to use Fill Surface to accomplish this and as you can see by watching the YouTube video below, the delete hole functionality works much better and faster. ...
These commands, particularly the Delete face and Move face commands, are extremely important to the die designer using SolidWorks. I use the Delete face command quite often, especially when processing a part for a strip layout. I use Delete face a lot for removing gussets before unbending for ...
Sometimes when you open an Iges or Step or other non-native file that you received, it has an error next to the imported body feature in the tree. Very often times you can simply do a Save As and save the file as a Parasolid and then reopen it and this will cause the error to disappear....
Every die designer that starts to use SolidWorks runs into this issue. And there are several different methods that we see people use to try to get around it. I will never forget when I experienced it – how frustrating it was. As you start to draw a rectangular die block on the Front plane so...